Modifying A Custody Agreement

When your circumstances change significantly, you can seek a modification to your post-divorce agreements. In some cases, one party may wish to take action to enforce an agreement if the other party is not following through with his or her end of the settlement. In either situation, a skilled, knowledgeable family law attorney can help you through the process. At Ann O'Connell Law, Ltd., we have over a decade of experience assisting individuals with modifications and the enforcement of agreements.

Understanding Your Options

You may want to modify your post-divorce agreement for many reasons. To do so, you must prove to the court that your and your family’s circumstances and needs have significantly changed since the award went into effect.

Common reasons to seek a modification include:

  • Significant change in income of either spouse
  • A change in the medical or educational needs of the child
  • Relocation of a parent
  • Older children’s preferences
  • Abuse or neglect allegations

Agreements that can be considered for modification or enforcement include:

Assisting You With Support Modification And Enforcement

You can seek to enforce or collect on an order. There are different resources used to enforce the payment of an award.

Some of these methods include:

  • Intercepting tax refunds
  • Garnishing wages and bank accounts
  • Suspending the payee’s driver’s license
  • Seeking criminal prosecution
  • Placing a lien against property

If you need assistance with child support modification, child support enforcement or spousal support modification, or would like to make a change to your parenting plan, contact us today. Our family law attorney will thoroughly examine your case and advise you of your options. Call our Evanston office at 847-859-5453 to set up a free consultation. Our lawyer helps families throughout Cook County and Lake County in Illinois.