Working With Your Divorce Agreements

Divorce settlements may seem final, but when a significant change in circumstances occurs, you can seek a modification to your post-divorce agreements. In some cases, one party may wish to take action to enforce an agreement if the other party is not following through with their end of the settlement. In either situation, a skilled, knowledgeable family law attorney should be utilized to help you through the process. At P. Ann O'Connell Law, Ltd., we have over a decade of experience assisting individuals with modifications and the enforcement of agreements.

Understanding Your Options

There are many reasons why you would want to seek a modification of your current post-divorce agreement. In order to do so, you must prove to the court that the circumstances and needs of you or your family have significantly changed since the award was put into effect.

Common reasons to seek a modification include:

  • Significant change in income of either spouse
  • A change in medical needs of the child
  • Educational needs of the child have altered
  • Relocation of a parent
  • Child preference of older children
  • Abuse or neglect allegations

Agreements that can be considered for modification or enforcement include:

Assisting You With Support Modification And Enforcement

You can seek to enforce or collect on an order. There are different resources used to enforce the payment of an award.

Some of these methods include:

  • Intercepting tax refunds
  • Garnishing wages and bank accounts
  • Suspending the payee's license
  • Seeking criminal prosecution
  • Placing a lien against their property

If you need assistance with child support modification, child support enforcement, spousal support modification or would like to make a change to your parenting plan, contact us today. Our family law attorney will thoroughly examine your case and advise you of your options. Call our Evanston office at 847-859-5453 to set up a free consultation. Our lawyer helps families throughout Cook County and Lake County here in Illinois.