Ann O’Connell Law, Ltd.

Free Consultations

Rolling Meadows Modification and Enforcement Attorney

Rolling Meadows Attorney For Modification and Enforcement of Family Law Court Orders

The resolution of a family law case can provide some sense of finality for the parties involved. When a final divorce decree or child custody order is put in place, ex-spouses or co-parents may be prepared to put these matters behind them and move forward with their lives. However, there are some situations that may require the parties to return to court to address new legal issues that have arisen. A person may need to take steps to ensure that the court's orders are followed correctly, or changes in a family's lives may require modifications to existing orders. For those who need to enforce or modify family law orders, legal representation from an experienced attorney is essential.

At Ann O’Connell Law, Ltd., we are well-versed in the intricacies of family law, and we can help determine the best ways to address the enforcement or modification of court orders. We provide compassionate support for ex-spouses or parents, ensuring that their rights and interests are protected during these legal proceedings. With our comprehensive understanding of the law, we can ensure that evolving life circumstances will be addressed correctly during enforcement or modification proceedings. We focus on achieving the best possible outcomes for our clients while protecting the best interests of any children involved.

Enforcement of Judgments

Enforcement actions may be necessary when a party fails to comply with a court order. Non-compliance can relate to various aspects of family law, including but not limited to:

  • Allocation of parental responsibilities and parenting time: A parent may fail to comply with the terms of a parenting plan, such as by refusing to allow the other parent to have access to a child.
  • Child support and spousal support: An ex-spouse or co-parent may fail to make payments as required, and the other party may need to take action to collect the amounts owed and ensure that future payments are made on time and in full.
  • Property division: An ex-spouse fails to turn over property allocated to the other spouse in a divorce judgment.

There are several options that may be available to enforce child custody orders, financial support obligations, or other family court judgments. To collect support owed, wage garnishment orders may be put in place, requiring a person's employer to withdraw money from their wages and pay it directly to the other party. Liens may be placed on a person's property, assets such as bank accounts may be seized, or tax returns may be intercepted to cover support that is owed. If a person willfully refuses to follow the court's orders, they may be held in contempt of court, which could result in the suspension of a driver's license or professional license, fines, or even time in prison.

Modifications to Family Law Orders

A person may request changes to the orders put in place during a divorce or child custody case. These modification requests will usually be based on significant changes in circumstances. If a person has experienced changes in their life, or if their children's needs have changed, they may request changes to the following types of orders:

  • Parenting plans: Changes in a parent's living situation, employment, or health may require adjustments to parenting time schedules or the allocation of parental responsibilities. Changes in the needs of a child may also lead a parent to request modifications. These cases often involve plans for relocation by a parent.
  • Child support: Significant changes in either parent's financial situation or the needs of the child may require adjustments to the amount of support one parent will pay to the other. For example, the loss of a job may affect a parent's ability to pay support, or medical expenses for a child who has health issues may need to be addressed.
  • Spousal support: Changes in the financial circumstances of either party can lead to a modification of spousal maintenance. Issues that affect a person's ability to pay support may be considered, or support may be terminated if the spouse who receives support becomes self-supporting. The remarriage of the recipient or their cohabitation with a romantic partner will terminate the other party's support obligations.

To request a modification, a person must file a petition with the court. They will need to demonstrate that there have been significant changes in circumstances warranting changes. The court will evaluate whether the changes are substantial and ongoing, and arguments or evidence presented by both parties may be considered. A judge will determine whether modifications will be put in place and whether they will be temporary or permanent.

Contact Our Rolling Meadows Court Order Modification and Enforcement Lawyer

At Ann O’Connell Law, Ltd., we are committed to providing our clients with the legal support they need as they seek to enforce or modify family law orders or respond to petitions filed by an ex-spouse or co-parent. If you are facing enforcement issues or need to discuss a potential modification, contact us at 847-859-6222 and schedule a free consultation. We will help you explore your legal options and devise a strategy that serves your best interests.

badge badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top