Do You Need To Modify Your Maintenance Agreement?

If you need to modify your spousal maintenance agreement, you will want the assistance of an experienced family law attorney. Modifications to legal agreements are complex, and improper filing can cause a delay or a denial. Contact our honest and patient litigators.

At Ann O'Connell Law, Ltd., we will take the time to thoroughly understand your case. Our legal team offers clients 24-hour access to legal counsel. We understand complex financial situations and how to manage those assets. We use our financial background to assess how your financial situation may call for a maintenance modification. You can rely on our lawyer to provide you with a practical solution to your case.

Justifying Your Modification Request

When you seek a maintenance modification, you must prove that it is necessary. The most common reason for a modification is job loss or a change in income. This is simple to prove since Illinois uses a formula based on the income of each spouse. Other common reasons used to prove the necessity of a modification include:

  • A change in income of either ex-spouse
  • A change in the medical needs or care of a child
  • Parental relocation
  • The preference of a child
  • Allegations of abuse or neglect
  • A child’s educational needs
  • The remarriage of your ex-spouse
  • Any factor that the court considers justifiable

The court will expect you to have documentation that proves the changes occurred. It is in your best interest to have our attorney conduct the research your case needs. We can thoroughly analyze the details of your case and identify the need for the modification. In addition, we can inform you of how a modification may impact you and your finances.

We Offer A Free Consultation In Cook And Lake Counties

For more than a decade, Ann O'Connell Law, Ltd., has helped clients from Chicagoland and beyond achieve favorable results. We will provide you with honest and effective representation throughout the litigation process. You will have 24-hour access to legal counsel and the opportunity to notify us of changes. We are eager to assist you in your modification process.

Call our Evanston office at 847-859-5453, or you can contact us online by completing this contact form.